Friday, January 13, 2012

Frankfurt with The Forsythe Company

Friday 1/13/12
I'm emailing some of you this blog. Please pass it on to whomever you may think would be interested.
Elizabeth Dement pointed out to me that my updates from Frankfurt are a blog so I've started one officially.
Below this entry are the two previous updates about my trip to Frankfurt.
Today Bill continued to work with the "unfamiliar". Layering objects or systems upon each other. I've decided to basically shadow him and he' seems to be open and generously inviting about it. The things he says either directly to me or talking to the dancers are exactly what I need to hear.
"Don't throw anything out. The original always has value."
"As a choreographer I must question my own motives or habits or preferences. Does it make sense or have value just because I like it?"
"Curate the mental state not the movement."
etc...
I keep forgetting to mention that here are several other guests in the studio.
All young dancers from various places. 5 or 6 from Juillard and 2 from Bennington. How wonderful it is to be with such young dancers taking these chances together.
This week was beyond amazing!
I am so grateful to Bill and his wonderful company and my fellow guests.
More tomorrow.

Monday 1/9/12
Well I arrived in Frankfurt no problem. Checked into the flat in which I'm staying the first 2 weeks. It's great! Couldn't be more perfect. Young friendly gay guy, nice flat, walking distance to the studio with a big cheap grocery store right across the street.
I got to the studio just in time for their lunch break which was kind of perfect because it gave Bill and I a chance to catch up.
I love him. He's so easy to talk to and so caring.
The studio is huge. Warehousey.
After Bill and I talked he went to eat and I warmed up.
They work just the way we do. He starts with an idea and then they play while he walks around checking from all angles and bugs them with suggestions. A lot of laughter and fun. Three of the dancers were in another corner working on rep while everyone else takes a bit of space to play on their own. I didn't jump in today because I wanted to feel the vibe. They all seem totally cool with me being there and are all very friendly.
I felt like I was with you guys. Right at home.
His basic idea was to get yourself into a sort of "knot" and work with that. The idea is that you yourself are not sure which of your hands is touching or holding which body part or extremity. Solos become duos, duos become trios, etc.....
Absolutely everything is videoed with a big camera at the front and everyone's iphones from every angle.
It's up to the dancers to make the video person aware when they are either starting a new idea or they have something that seems interesting.
Questions and answers through movement no wrong answers...
The dancers just keep going, solving problems and quandries as they arise without stopping the flow.
They work until 6.
I went grocery shopping and it's not terribly expensive at all. Spent a little more this time because i had to get things like olive oil, balsamic, salt, peps...
I cooked some chicks and made my lovely salad.
I'm trying to stay up until 10pm when I Skype Gary my sponsor every night.
APAP was good. I talked to some very nice presenters who although their venues are too big for us they gave me some great advice and words of encouragement about our work and you guys in particular. You guys really blew it out of the water at the Joyce.
One gentleman is interested in giving us a residency in Queens for the new piece. Yay!
Bill asked me again today if I'd bring him a DVD and so I will give him the Joyce DVD of Shady which I just got back from the editors.
I have to tell you that I am very comfortable showing it to him because not only do I love the piece but you guys are just so wonderful in it. You're just like these guys here. Truly world class.
This first day solidifies for me that we are going in the right direction. Our method is sound and strong and we're going to continue to make good work together. Bill get's out of his own way better than I do and I will be here learning as I watch him compose.
I love you all.
I'm so fucking happy I'm actually tearing up a bit as I write this.
I am so grateful for my incredible life and the amazing people in it.
Peace and Love

Thursday 1/12/12
Hi All,
Yesterday was another great day.
Bill wasn't in so it was class with this woman Christine who is lovely. Great ballet class.
Then it was just playtime the rest of the day.
I'm just floating around the huge room very ADD, learning a bit of rep here, a phrase from something there and playing with this "unfamiliar" concept here and there.
I had a wonderful talk with the company dramaturg, Freya. she helped me define what it is i will want in a dramaturg and already gave me some guidance with the new piece.
This is more than I could possibly hope for.
Every day is full of discover and learning and I'm getting back in real shape.
I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sore today I can hardly walk and it's a great way to feel.
God, that is so fucked up. We are so masochistic.
But i like it! I like the pain! (said in the voice of Carrie White's mother)
Love you all,
More to come,
P

2 Comments:

At January 15, 2012 at 9:58 AM , Blogger AlfredNYC said...

Keep the blogs coming! Al

 
At January 16, 2012 at 11:42 PM , Blogger George said...

more more more i wanna hear more!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home