Thursday, January 19, 2012

January 19th, 2012

Day 1 at the Bockenheimer Depot.

It feels a little odd to say that today was simply one of the best days of my life.

It started out by running into Liz from the Forsythe company on the Ubahn. It was nice to have a brief chat outside of the studio.

I'd never been to the Depot before and upon entering the performance space I was awash with with the organic nature of the space. A defunct train station it is now a performance space. The most beautiful blend of industry, history and contemporary art I've ever witnessed. Huge arching wooden beams support the soaring chunky yet graceful roof. it can be configured any number of ways. It has been set up as a "regular stage space" for this production. It reminded me a bit of La Mama.

I took Christine kono's wonderful class and then waited for the fun to begin.

While waiting I checked my email and got the news that my friend Bryant who went into the hospital shortly before I left for Frankfurt died this morning. My hearts sank at first and I shed a tear but then I was filled with such gratitude for him. If it wasn't for Bryant inviting me into a group to work through the Artist's Way, I would never have had the courage to come here and take this month with this amazing company. I will miss my friend but do truly believe that he is in a much more vivid place. This physical plane as in all others is just a stop over. Bryant will always be young and strong and handsome. Grief is ultimately selfish and I must remember to be happy that he is free. Let it go. Let him go.

The rehearsal started with Duo. Two casts ran it. One female and one male. I've seen this perfect jewel of a work a number of times but being here the last two weeks and watching it being rehearsed has been amazing. The vocabulary, the composition and musicality are impeccable.
Both casts are in my opinion phenomenal. Roberta Mosca and Parvaneh (Pari) Scharafali are the women and Riley Watts and Brigel Gjoka the men. I can't go on enough about how these people move. Artists of the highest caliber. Weaving their way through this intricate duet with such skill and understanding and sense of discover with every single movement. I can't wait to see it grow as we move towards the performances. Bravo Allison Brown for rehearsing it so well.

After Duo there was a lunch break. I brought sandwich makings to save money but ventured outside to the farmer's market across the street to buy some broccoli to go with my dinner tonight. Love European markets.

After lunch I took a seat behind Bill. The rest of the day flowed pretty organically. Bill had some dancers come on stage and start doing some of the tangled structures they've been working on. He was getting the lighting just right to have the "plasticity" see the shapes best. Then he started to compose. It was fucking amazing. Seemingly with ease he started to structure the piece. There was laughter and intense concentration from the dancers waiting for his cue to go on stage and begin one of their sequences. Bill came and sat next to me and it was just us sitting and hmming and chuckling or Bill would softly sing the praises of someone dancing. I love the timber or his voice. it reminds me of my Philip. I was at times transported back more than twenty years ago listening to Philip and Bill just being silly or having serious discussions that were so far over my head at the time. I think that's why Bill always feels like home to me.

The hours flew by for me. I could watch what he and his dancers were doing my entire life. I am so terribly lucky.

Thank you Bryant and my Artist Way colleagues for helping me unlock the courage to come here. I have had a pretty amazing life and this truly was one of theeeeee best days ever. Oh yeah and thank you Bill.

5 Comments:

At January 19, 2012 at 3:58 PM , Blogger George said...

such a vivid description of the depot...i feel like i could be standing next to you there. I'm so glad that you are writing these blogs, selfishly, because i am discovering a new side of your artistry and humanity.

Ah, Bill and Philip...thanks for making me smile AND cry. The one time I met Bill, as you may remember, was when he was creating New Sleep at SFB. Joffrey must have been at the opera house and I must have been on layoff from Cincinnati. Philip, Bill, Thom, and I drove to Sonoma and had dinner outside on the terrace at Auberge du Soleil.

That too was one of the best days of my life, now that I look back on the years I would have left with Philip.

I love you much!

 
At January 19, 2012 at 9:34 PM , Blogger TK said...

I wish this never had to end for you! Thanks for writing so much. I love hearing about your experiences! Is the depot where they shot that project with the tables?

 
At January 19, 2012 at 10:59 PM , Blogger Patrick Corbin said...

Yes the Depot is where they shot Table dance.

 
At January 20, 2012 at 1:30 PM , Blogger Stacey-Jo said...

Thank you for sharing this amazing day. Your writing is so full of sense memories that they transfer to me with out everbeing part of them...
It reminded me to tell you that MCDC at the Armory was incredible. Perfect Performances -made me think that God really exists and of course they used the space exquisitely...Another phenominal space for performance in NYC is the Brooklyn Bridge Anchorage - have you ever been to see anything there?
luv you

 
At January 21, 2012 at 8:56 AM , Blogger Patrick Corbin said...

Never been to the Anchorage

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home