Thursday, January 26, 2012

January 26th Bockenheimer Depot

My calf felt better today so I took Christine's wonderful class up through adage in center. It felt good to move again. I know it had only been one day but as I said before the experience here has made me hungry to move again. I had truly thought that was all done. It just goes to show that one should never count oneself out. We create our own reality.

Today Bill really started to put together a "concrete" sequence.

He noticed me taking copious notes yesterday and asked me to help remember what he liked and where.

Even with this wonderful software that David Kearns has created called Piecemaker and the dramaturg, Freya, it's still hard to keep track.

I completely understand having been in the same position many times. And I don't have the pressure of having to make a piece by WILLIAM FORSYTHE. I can't imagine the weight of being a Paul Taylor or William Forsythe. Everybody waiting for you to blow their minds. Others waiting and wanting to see you fail. I'm glad he feels comfortable using me and I'm more than happy to be of service. Being at the front of the room can be a very lonely place even when you are working with people whom you dearly love and who love and want to support you. Quite a way of life that some are compelled to trudge through.

So they/we worked until 6:30 with a lunch break from 2ish to 3ish.

Bill worked on a duet with Brigel and Esther until lunch and then set to work on sequencing the piece. He found a sequence that seemed to be working for him up to a certain point and then they had an evening break from 6:30 to 7:30.

At 7:30 we were back and Bill shared a Youtube video called Quatre Fromage. Really sweet and funny. I recommend it. Watch the solo first then the quartet, and that's all I'll say. It was a good laugh.

Apres Quatre Fromage they ran what they had and Bill made some minor changes, all the while relying on Freya for cues as to what came next and giving me notes. Some were qualitative for the dancers and others were for him such as "work on this transition" or "option for an insert here".

By 9pm the dancers, who are so wonderful and earnest in their support had really had it. I could see their eyes glazing over. It was time to stop.

It was late coming home and I realized that I didn't have anything in the fridge to make for dinner but thankfully the mini market in the Ubahn station was open and I got some bratwurst and frozen french fries and had a typical German meal. It was yummy. I've been so good about being on salad since before Angel Reapers and the brats and fries were awesome. I haven't made frozen fries in the states in years. I wonder if they've become as good as these. They didn't used to be. Or maybe it's the same principle that makes me think that Coca Cola tastes better here. Ooh! Maybe I'll have a Coke tomorrow. Wow! It's come to Coca Cola being a big indulgence. You've come a long way baby!

2 Comments:

At January 27, 2012 at 2:38 PM , Blogger Stacey-Jo said...

Happy Belated bday...i look forward to your daily posts !xoxoxox

 
At January 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM , Blogger George said...

i'd be stopping every night at one of those outdoor sausage stands and be a little sausage myself by now!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home