Saturday, February 4, 2012

February 4th, 2012

Last night was the premiere of Stellentstellen.

I love the piece. It's a departure for Bill and the company and i'm so happy to have been here to witness him take that leap.

The dancers had class at 11am today and then gathered for the notes from last night performance. This is , I guess, the moment where sometimes Bill scraps the entire piece and starts over and it can be a completely different piece. He didn't. He wanted to tighten up a couple of things musically and work on the ending.

My friend and ex-CorbinDances dancer Monica Gillette came to the show and stayed the night. She and one of Tony's roommates connecting on creating an environment based on shared resources for "freelance" groups. This is the way of the future and I'm bringing the conversation back to NY. In some ways we're struggling with this exact question but the environment in the states is usually this is mine and I worked for it, find your own. We need to think creatively about making this work together, and we will.

This trip has made me realize that this is just the beginning. We must get away from "branding", get away from having to sum up who we are in one sentence or less. I know that it's the accepted model for funding and marketing. Why? Who made that rule? It is my belief that this only contributes to the larger concept of the 1%. In my mind that is why so many talented people get crushed with "success". They have their sentence, their sound bite and that's what is expected of them and if they don't produce THAT then they lose audience, benefactors, funding, sponsors. Or will they? I'm not going to worry about that anymore. It's about asking questions. It's about finding a new way. It's just about making the work.

Let's accomplish this together.

Come on people now
smile on your brother
everybody get together
try to love one another right now


SERIOUSLY!

1 Comments:

At February 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's do it! Collaborate. This is where the PTDC "hub" site can work!! One for all and all for one! I love you PP.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home